Here is the list of MBKM’s 50 Best Malaysian Titles 2013 for easy reference to those who wants to know the titles that made it to the list.
I took the time to copy from the catalogue (with permission) and re-write the whole thing, should you want to use this list, please credit the information to: MBKM and emilayusof.com (this post). It should be linked like this: Credits: MBKM and 50 Best Malaysian Titles for International Rights 2013 @ emilayusof.com .
1. Jika Esok Tiba (If Tomorrow Comes) – collection of short stories that cover various themes and issues across Malaysia’s multi-cultural society. Author: Anwar Ridhwan, Pubsliher: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
2. Seri Dewi Malam – A love story that is full of complexity. This novel highlights the idea of finding a life partner, death and fortune that have been determined by Allah. Author: Affifudin Haji Omar, Publisher: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
3. Lara – A story of a woman who suffered from cancer fights to survive. Author: Azmah Nordin, Publisher: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka
4. Sunan Musafir – Saifudin, Admiral of Sunan was now retired but his past caught up with him. Author: Ramli Awang Murshid, Publisher: Alaf 21 Sdn Bhd.
5. Rindu Aroma Padi Bunting – ‘Longing for the fragrant smell of rice’ – the story of two families, one from Malaysia, the other from Makasar. Author: Arena Wati, Publisher: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
6. Serang Hendap Ulu Lenggong – The Ambush at Ulu Lenggong tells of the fiercest battle with the communists. Author: Mohd Radzi Abd Hamid, Publisher: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
7. Wajah Seorang Wanita (Portrait of a Woman) – The story of a Kelantanese woman who overcame life’s tragedies with strength. Author: S. Othman Kelantan, Publisher: Institut Terjemahan & Buku Malaysia (ITBM)
8. Bayu – An American boy has been kidnapped in Malaysia. A crime novel. Author: Rozlan Mohd Noor, Publisher: Silverfish Books Sdn Bhd.
9. The Sum of our Follies Story of a fictitious small town in Malaysia that captures the essence of the whole country. Author: Shih Li Kow, Publisher: Silverfish Books Sdn Bhd.
10. Anakara House – Story of recent emigrants from India to Malaya who are torn between the new and old world. Author: Matthew Thomas, Publisher: Silverfish Books Sdn Bhd.
11. Readings from Readings 2 – Second collection of stories, poems and essays from Kuala Lumpur’s longest running literary events, Readings@Seksan and CeritAku. Editor: Bernice Chauly/Sharon Bakar, Publisher: Word Works Sdn Bhd.
Fiction / Chinese
12. Fantastic Lion Dance Troupe – A group of students work hard to be part of the Lion Dance Troupe. Author: Yap Shang Yong, Publisher: Odonata Publishing Sdn Bhd.
13. You, Me, Zero Distance – A story of a father, a daughter and the generation gap. Author: Sam Yi Sen, Publisher: Odonata Publishing Sdn Bhd.
14. The Bride’s Veil – A young couple’s happiness was shortlived when the Japanese invaded. Author: Khor Ewe Pin, Publisher: Odonata Publishing Sdn Bhd.
15. The Jugra Chronicles Rigih and The Witch of Moon Lake continues the story of Bongsu. Author: Tutu Dutta-Yean/Tan Vay Fern (Illustrator), Publisher: MPH Group Publishing.
16. Jejak Monpus – On the Trail of Monpus tells of an insect lover who discovered a new caterpillar species. Author: Zulaiha Paikon, Publisher: Pelangi Novel Sdn Bhd.
17. Bright Times – Five students try to save their school from being closed down. Author: Khor Ewe Pin, Publisher: Pelangi Novel Sdn Bhd.
18. Haikal Haziq – Identical twins Haikal and Haziq look the same but are different otherwise. Author: Rosdell M.A., Publisher: Buku Prima, Karangkraf.
Art & Crafts
19. Rupa & Jiwa – Form & Spirit – A book that analyses Malay art and craft. Author: Syed Ahmad Jamal (1929-2011), Publisher: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
20. Veritas 1987-2012 – A compilation of more than 50 projects worldwide by Veritas Design Group. Authors: Robert Powell/Lau Su Vin, Publisher: Veritas Management Sdn Bhd.
21. Portraits of Penang: Little India – A celebration of Little India with photographs and accompanying essays. Photographer: Ooi Cheng Ghee, Authors: Gareth Richards, Himanshu Bhatt, Publisher: Areca Books.
22. Kaleidoscope The memoirs of PG Lim -a remarkable and eventful life at the heart of Malaysian affairs. Author: P.G. Lim, Publisher: Strategic Information & Research Development (SIRD).
23. Kuala Lumpur-Berlin – Writings from Malaysia and Germany. Editors: Hedy Holzwarth, Holger Warnk, Volker Wolf, Publisher: Institut Terjemahan & Buku Malaysia (ITBM).
24. Kuntum Biru Kembang Lestari – Blooms of Blue Flowers is a collection of writings and reflections by National Laureate (1991) Muhammad Haji Salleh. Publisher: Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia.
25. Halal Guidebook Guide for Halal food producers to ensure compliance. Publisher: Halal Industry Development Corporation.
26. Atlas of Food Exchanges & Portion Sizes Food preparation for health professionals and the general reader. Authors: Dr Suzana Shahar, Dr Noor Aini Mohd Yusoff, Dr Nik Shanita Safii, Rafidah Ghazali, Roslina Ahmad, Publisher: MDC Publishers.
27. Nostalgia Medan Selera Nostalgic Food Court is a collection of recipes by the late Ahmad bin Yaacob Al-Johori, caterer for royal weddings. Author: Faizah Aziz-Wells, Publisher: Shakespot Sdn Bhd.
28. History of the Dutch in Malaysia In 1641 the Dutch wrested Malacca from th Portuguese and occupied it for the next 160 years. Author: Dennis De Witt, Publisher: Nutmeg Publishing.
29. Penang: The Fourth Presidency of India 1805-1830 – Early settlement in Penang with paintings, engravings and maps. Author: Marcus Langdon, Publisher: Areca Books.
30. Traditional Islamic Architecture of Malaysia Mosques, palaces, religious schools and homes. Author: Mohamad Tajuddin Mohamad Rasdi, Publisher: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
31a. Great Stories from the Quran: The 25 Prophets. Publisher: Kualiti Books Sdn Bhd.
31b. Prophet Muhammad SAW; The Last Messenger of Allah SWT. Publisher: Kualiti Books Sdn Bhd.
32. Ensiklopedia Al-Quran – A comprehensive encyclopedia of the Al-Quran and its journey as a holy book for Muslims. Author: Syeikh Muhd Mujahid, Publisher: Must Read Sdn Bhd.
33. Pengajian Islam (Islamic Studies) – Reference book to help readers understand Islam as an integrated way of life. Author: Roziah Sidik, Zulkarnain Mohamed, NAsruddin Yuno, Publisher: Oxford Fajar Sdn Bhd.
34. Kumpulan Puisi Terpilih Baha Zain – Collection of poems by Baha Zain, National Laureate (2013). Author: Baha Zain, Publisher: Institut Terjemahan & Buku Malaysia (ITBM).
35. 1000 Pantun Puitis: Mencari Diri Mencari Erti – 1000 Pantun, the Malay poetic form, by National Laureate (2011) Ahmad Kamal Abdullah. Author: Kemala, Publisher: Universiti Putra Malaysia.
36. Raja Perlembagaan Malaysi: Raja-Raja Melayu & Yang Di-Pertua Negeri Abad 21 – The first book to compile all the facts and information on the Malaysian Constitutional Monarchy institution. Author: Roslan Mohammed, Publisher: Kaedah Kota Management (M) Sdn Bhd.
37. Malaysia-Perancis: Menelusuri Jati Diri – A book that celebrates the relationship between Malaysia and France that began decades ago. Author: Stephane Dovert, Publisher: Institut Terjemahan & Buku Malaysia (ITBM).
38. Malaysian Studies – Reference book on how the country was formed and how it has evolved. Author: Mardiana Nordin, Hasnah Hussiin, Publisher: Oxford Fajar Sdn Bhd.
39. Pantun Pilihan Peranakan Baba Negeri Selat, 1910-1930an – 1,343 pantun verses from the Peranakan people give an insight into their culture. Author: Ding Choo Ming, Publisher: Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia.
40. Ensera Ayor: Epik Rakyat Iban – A folk epic from Iban about the warrior, Ayor. Author: Noria Taslim, Chemaline Osup, Publisher: Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia.
41. The Green Frontier: A Malaysian Journey – Tells the experiences of Malaysians who chose to live, work and play in a planet-friendly way using green technology. Author: Cecelia Alphonsus, Joanne Lim, Intan Jailani, Editor: Chan Li Jin Publisher: E-Magineers (M) Sdn. Bhd.
42. A Backpack and A Bit of Luck – A collection of travel narratives from all over the world. Author: Zhang Su Li, Publisher: MPH Group Publishing.
43. Folk Tales Series & Animal Fables Series Favourite Malaysian stories for children. Author: Various, Publisher: Institut Terjemahan dan Buku Malaysia (ITBM).
44a. My Mother’s Kitchen – A little girl enjoys watching her mother in the kitchen. Author/Illustrator: Emila Yusof, Publisher: Oyez Books
44b. Princesses of Malaysia – Stories of legendary princesses of Malaysia. Illustrator: Emila Yusof, Re-told by: Raman, Publisher: Oyez Books
45. Dill the Little Elephant – Dill was separated from the herd and goes on a journey to look for his parents. Author: Ming and Volker, Illustrator: Yusof Gajah, Publisher: Oyez Books
46a. A Cake Reaching to the Sky – A boy makes a cake to reach out to his dead grandmother. Author/Illustrator: Norico Chua, Publisher: Magicbird
46b. Do Noses Grow Long When Lies are Told? A book to encourage thinkers. Author: C.K.Koh & Quek Sue Yian; Illustrator: C.K.Koh (Illustrator), Publisher: Magicbird
47. Kuso High School – A hilarous collection of the different groups at school. Author/Illustrator: Keith, Publisher: Gala Unggul Resources.
48. X-Venture: Dinosaur Kingdom – The X-Venture Xplorers are trapped in the Precambrian period 570 million years ago. Author: Redcode & Albbie, Comics by Air Team, Publisher: Gala Unggul Resources.
49. Super Safee SS10 Comic Series – comprising of Semangat Harimau Malaya (Spirit of the Tiger of Malaya), Memburu Impian (Chasing Dream) and Pantang Menyerah Kalah (Say No to Defeat). Author: Ben, Publisher: PTS Media Group.
50. Raihan Rangerz – Four young men have been trained to be Raihan Rangerz. Their mission: Earth’s well-being. Comes with DVDs. Editor: Nurul Ashikin, Illustrator/Aninator: SABA Animation Team, Publisher: SABA Islamic Media