Art & Places: Tugu Negara, KL

Went to Tugu Negara as per suggestion of UnsungHero (UH). Thank you so much for the idea, if not for you, UH, I will be taking my own sweet time to go. Frankly, I have never visit the National Monument simply because it’s here at home.

I spent the morning to walk around the area with my son, Yassin, before sitting down to sketch the monument.

Tugu Negara
Yassin was actually lying on his stomach to be in his comfortable position to draw. Haha.

tugunegara
Tugu Negara (National Monument) sketch. I made one round before finding a good angle to draw. Save me the time to draw all 7 statues! Pencil and colorpencil on Moleskine Plain Notebook.

The sculpture depicts a group of soldiers, with two slumped at the base and one holding the Malaysian national flag aloft. Each of the bronze figures symbolizes leadership, suffering, unity, vigilance, strength, courage and sacrifice. The granite base of the sculpture bears the old coat of arms of Malaysia, flanked on either side by inscriptions in English in Latin script and Malay in Jawi script: ‘Dedicated to the heroic fighters in the cause of peace and freedom, May the blessing of Allah be upon them.’

The monument was designed by sculptor, Felix De Weldon who was also responsible for the Marine Corps War Memorial in Virginia, United States. Completed early 1966, the sculpture stands at 15 meters (49.21 feet) tall and is the world’s tallest bronze free-standing sculpture grouping.

Yassin at Tugu Negara Malaysia, KL

And here’s Yassin’s drawing:

yassin's-drawing-of-tugu
Yassin said the monument is too hard to draw (left) so he later a soldier with gun (right).

Reference: Wikipedia – National Monument (Malaysia)

17 thoughts on “Art & Places: Tugu Negara, KL

• January 28, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Salam Emila…oh terima kasih. tak sangka Emila terima cadangan saya…lakaran Tugu Negara itu seperti lakaran-lakaran Emila yang lain memang menarik :)

• January 29, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Salam Em,

I have not been to Tugu Negara for ages..

Your kid pun pandai draw and he is right to stick to what he knows.

hehehe I also find it difficult to draw the soldiers yg terbaring and berdiri wih badan bersilang and whatnot.

• January 29, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Salam Niza, yeah, I guess better draw what he knows. Hehehe, took me sometimes to get the details. Actually dah lukis angle depan tapi tak puashati cari angle yang senang sikit nak lukis.

• January 30, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Gambar kaki Yassin sampai ternaik tu yang mahal..hehehe

• January 31, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Saya pergi kat sana dengan keluarga saya dan keluarga pakcik pada 31 December 2013. Ingat nak tengok bunga api dari sit, tapi lepas tu anak-anak dah meragam, terus balik lah.

Askar Yassin ada rupa macam Goku dah…

• February 3, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Mesti ramai orang malam tahun baru sebab tu anak=anak meragam tak? Hahaha Yassin dan Gokunya 😀

• February 4, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Sebenarnya K.Em, tak ada orang pun kat situ pada malam tu hehehehe. Cuma kami dan tak lama kemudian ada la sebuah kereta datang. Budak2 bila dah nak pukul 11 mula la mengantuk… itu yang kena balik juga :)

• February 2, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I like the sculptor on the top, but not on the bottom.

• February 4, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Wahhh lajunya K.Em hantar post baru. Nak baca pun tak sempat lagi ni… esok sambung baca… nak balik rumah :)

• February 5, 2013 at 9:44 am

Ok, Syuq. Tengah mood berblogging haha

• June 21, 2014 at 6:10 pm

oh my.. Yassin looks so tiny compare to the national monument o.O
    hampir tak perasan kewujudan dia dlm gmbar.. hehehe..