Posted on | May 31, 2011 | 146 Comments
My husband and I went to Immigration Department at Wangsa Maju branch on Monday to renew our passport and we’re so happy that the process went smooth. Prior to applying, my husband was worried that his name was blacklisted. I told him if he’s not doing anything wrong with the Police or Income Tax Dept or PTPTN, he should be OK. Anyway, I searched the net on how to get information on blacklisted traveler and was happy to find out that we can check the status online.
I gather these tips to share with you:
1. Check your travel status
- You can now check whether you are blacklisted or not before applying for your passport: Travel Status Enquiry (SSPI)
2. Applying for passport
- Over the counter application: Applying is very easy – you need to be ready with two passport photos (with light blue background, dark blue won’t be accepted) and a copy of your IC. You need to hold on to your original IC as the officer will later need it to process your passport. You’ll get back your IC after payment has been made.
- Online application: you can visit Immigration’s e-service here: Online Passport.
- For children, adopted children, etc, please read full requirements here: Malaysia International Passport.
3. Renewing passport
- The process is the same as above, but you need to bring your expired passport.
4. Lost Passport
- If it’s missing or lost, you have to lodge a police report and bring the report when applying for a new one. Don’t forget to make a copy for their record. Please take note that application for replacement of lost passport will be sent to Immigration Department Headquarters, Putrajaya Malaysia for decision/process which will take approximately 3-4 months.
5. Waiting hours
- Effective from 11 May 2010, Malaysia international passport applications will be processed within an hour after payment is made. Please bear in mind that, the waiting for your number to be called is about one hour also depending on the crowd. So, expect two hours.
6. Passport Fees
- Fees are as per below:
RM100.00 for 2 years
RM300.00 for 5 years
- Special Fees
RM150.00 for 5 years
[Eligibility for special Fees: Children below 12 years old or student below 21 years old with proof to study abroad on the day submission.]
- Exemption of payment
Exemption of payment is given to the handicap or disable person on the condition that they produce a letter from the Welfare Department.
7. Passport validity
- Your passport must be valid for more than six months – or to be on the safe side – one year. I went to renew my passport after an Immigration officer told me that I cannot travel on a passport with only 6 months validity.
Note: I am just giving tips of what you need to apply, for other enquiries, please contact Immigration Department: 03-8000 8000 or visit their website: Immigration Malaysia