Do you know that today is Earth Day? Yes? But you forgot? Hehe ok, I am here to REMIND you.
So what is Earth Day?
Earth Day is a day that is intended to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth’s natural environment. Earth Day was founded by United States Senator Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in first held on April 22, 1970. While this first Earth Day was focused on the United States, an organization launched by Denis Hayes, who was the original national coordinator in 1970, took it international in 1990 and organized events in 141 nations. Earth Day is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network and is celebrated in more than 175 countries every year. Numerous communities celebrate Earth Week, an entire week of activities focused on environmental issues. In 2009, the United Nations designated April 22 International Mother Earth Day. (source: wikipedia)
How Do you celebrate Earth Day?
- Plant trees around your home.
- Donate money to your favorite green cause.
- Join a local group that undertakes activities to help protect the environment in your area.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle all day long. Although no-plastic-bag day is on every Saturday but try not to use plastic bag today also. But don’t restrict the habit only for today or every Saturday, put it into practice every day.
- Learn more about the environment; find out information about pollution, endangered species, water shortages, recycling, and climate change.
There are more ways to celebrate Earth Day, be innovative and come up with your own ways to celebrate the day. And remember, every day is Earth Day. Anything to help our environment is a perfect thing to do on Earth Day and every day.
My son Yassin planted rambutan tree few years ago. Now the tree is taller than him. Now he’s waiting to reap the ‘benefit’.
And my most favourite search engine, Google, celebrates Earth Day too. Check this out:
Happy Earth Day, everybody.